Medvet Science Pty Ltd is the Commercialisation company of SA Pathology and the Royal Adelaide Hospital (RAH). Medvet's mission is to support, develop, and market the intellectual property that arises from research, pathology and the hospital environment.
Intellectual Property and Commercialisation Office
As Commercialisation Agent for SA Pathology and RAH, Medvet has been granted the authority to undertake the necessary processes to ensure that intellectual property is protected and commercialised in accordance with good commercial practices.
Research, pathology and medical innovations all have the potential to generate novel intellectual property that could one day be of benefit to the wider community. Individuals are encouraged to approach the IP&C Office with any invention that they believe should be protected.
The IP&C Office team will guide the process of intellectual property protection and commercialisation and provide a range of support and advice including:
- Evaluation of innovations
- Initial assessment of opportunity and best development path
- Development of commercialisation strategies
- Evaluation of market potential
- Protection of IP
- Confidentiality agreements
- Material Transfer Agreements
- Marketing IP and identifying strategic commercial development partners
- Negotiating Licenses and Commercial Agreements
- Managing commercially sponsored Research Agreements
- Distribution of profits generated according to SA Government IP Policy
- Providing financial support and adding value to key IP
Contract research and consultancies
The IP&C Office also manages all consultancy and research and services agreements including collaborative projects with other research organisations or commercial companies. This ensures that the expertise of individuals and groups are available to the wider community and that in return, this expertise is duly compensated. In addition, it ensures that the IP&C Office is able to manage the IP ownership associated with such agreements.
The IP&C Office also provides assistance with access to government funding programmes such as Bio Innovation SA commercial grants, NH&MRC development grants and the ARC linkage programme. These grants are commercially focused and the IP&C team is there to ensure that the grant applications meet all of the commercial criteria required.